Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Mail Art, of course, and more, of course.

 This is #237 of year three. I used only 3 paper scraps and one small circle, but am soooo pleased at how the space is changed up by what is on one of the paper scraps. I just love it. The illusion of transparency and of depth and all sorts of things. Love it!

This is #238. Three scraps of color paper again and one small black circle. This is very flat, very one dimenstional, but I think the black spot creates a bit of ambiguity.


This is #239. Three pieces of color paper and a circle, again. This time, the angle of the purple changes the dynamic of the piece though it's still very flat. 

Just when we thought we had it all together again, except for emptying the boxes, the toilet seat broke. This face says it all, kind of an Oh, No, expression, or a scream with eyes in the headlights.
It's sort of how I feel when I look at all the boxes. I've gotten some emptied and that is good. Also, sad, cause one had some things in it from my deceased friend. I didn't realize that I still had those things.  So it goes. 


Here are some fun things that I rediscovered. In the box to the left, is a wardrobe for the Snoopies. To the right, is Elizabeth, who was one of M's early playthings. She was made by Fisher Price, who no longer makes such cool dolls.   When I took my little daughter & this doll to my class one day, a student asked why she had a doll like this, meaning brown skin, I assumed. I think I answered something like - because she chose it. Much later, the student who has children of her own now, said that this had a profound influence on her. It opened her eyes. Wow, who knew what a doll could do!

 I took a break today to do some reading at the kitchen table. Bizoo had his own idea of what I needed to do. So what did I do, I took a break and petted him and listened to his purring.  Why do I have a pencil in my hand, because I was underlining words that I didn't know (reading short stories in Spanish.)

On Saturday, we went to an 80th birthday party of a dear, long known, friend. He had a western theme and people really got into it. The band was Honky Tonk, the music good, and my honey and I even danced a couple slow dances together.

I got this photo of our grandgirl today. Stripes are a big part of her wardrobe, as are skully things. Pirates, skulls, yes, that's about right.

I came across this book in one of the boxes. I'd forgotten about it, a cookbook that I'd gotten from Barry Zaid many years ago, 1976 probably. In fact, I think it was my first vegetarian cook book. I was going to get rid of it, but it has really good recipes. I remember making many of them. It's very worn, from getting water logged in Barry's car some how, and from my using it a lot. I think I'll just keep it. Maybe I'll even make that bread recipe again.

2 comments:

Melissa of {craftgasm} said...

I think Elizabeth is made from the same mold as a doll I had who had freckles and blonde hair. I got her at a yard sale when my grandparents first bought their little lake cabin; I was in kindergarten, and she stayed up there so I would not have to bring toys back and forth there on the weekends. Her name was Daisy, and she is still there in "my room." :)

mim said...

Thanks for letting me know about Daisy. I wonder if I can find out anything about these "gals" on-line. Hmmm. Gonna look.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...