Friday, January 04, 2013

I can't believe it...

 This beautiful piece of glass was created by Harvey Littleton. He literally invented the idea of artists being able to make glass works. Before Harvey, artists designed glass pieces but they were made in factories by glass blowers. He started the first University program ever in glass blowing. He taught many of the famous glass artists, including Dale Chilhuly. There is an exhibit of his work at The Visual Arts Center in Richmond, VA.
 I'm continuing my crazy two for one daily Mail Art projects. This is card #153 (day 153 of project 1) which is an alteration with the addition of the head, to a postcard of my honey's art piece, Evidence Box. The quote on the reverse: " My gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge." Albert Einstein
 This is #02 (project 2) Another day in Tiny Town. The reverse: Helene went to Tiny town intent on buying some of their (mini) pastries, which she'd heard were divine.
 Card #03 (project 2) Reverse - The crate appeared, mysteriously, the big concern of Tiny Town residents: Who was going to take it away.
 Card #154. I'm really fond of the way that this turned out. I like the way the hand , which I cut out of a catalog, really looks like it's holding/placing the match book on top of the number cards. It really changes the spatial aspect of this piece. Reverse quote:
"Nothing is really lost to us as long as we remember it." L.M. Montgomery. Do you know this author?
 Another Tiny Town visitor. Card #04. The reverse - Laverne's warm smile and pleasant demeanor made her a welcome visitor to Tiny Town.
Day #152 of project 1 was yet another alteration of one of my honey's images. I only added the figure. The quote on the reverse: " What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that's gone forever, impossible to reproduce." Karl Lagerfeld


I'm enjoying altering these cards with just one addition. I can change space, scale, concept, etc. How cool is that?

3 comments:

Margie said...

VERY COOL. I am loving them!

Beanie Mouse said...

Love the glass!!! Love Dale Chihuly's too..... we have one of his chandaliers at the V&A in London and he also made another piece placed in Park Lane outside the Dorchester, based on the Olympic flame last summer. All red and orange!

Anonymous said...

Your Tiny Town series is my favorite. :) it takes keen imagination to make something great.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...