Monday, December 05, 2011

More D.C. memories

 This was the decoration on the gates leading to the main Smithsonian building, the Castle.
 The weather was so nice, perfect for walking around D.C. I love how yellow this tree is and that's the Smithsonian Castle building.
 This is a painting by Gerhard Richter. The illusion is so fabulous. We'd walk close up and back again, just to admire how good this was.
 I finally made it to the Postal Museum!
 This is Owney, the postal dog, really, it's the real dog, taxidermied since forever! He's got on his "jacket" and collar full of tags showing all the places he'd been.
 These hand carved stamps were used to cancel the postage stamps. Postal workers would make their own out of corks.
 This is a small postage stamp, an engraving, considered to be a very beautiful stamp in it's day. (Size, about 1" x 1/2")
Here's another sky photo that I took from the car window as we headed home. The beautiful weekend ended with a beautiful sky.

1 comment:

phonelady said...

Such a sad story about what happened to owney . Poor thing . I hate animal abusers and always say there is a special place in hell for ppl like that . glad you got to see the museum .

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...