Wednesday, January 19, 2011

What I did Sunday & mail art #50 series

Soaking up sun
 Last Sunday, I met up with a former student of mine, at the VMFA coffee shop. It was sunny but chilly outside, however, someone was getting some sun on the deck, or meditating. Jordan brought some things for show and tell, which was very exciting. He scored big time at the thrift store, getting album covers (including unused records in them) designed by Josef Albers and other famous designers for only 50¢ each! Chuck paid lots more for the same online, and without the records. Wow!
 This is one of the albums covers that they have. This is one by Albers. Tomorrow, I'm off to the thrift store to see if I can find the one that got left behind.
"Let me know when this arrives"









I can't believe that I'm on day #50! Only 315 more to go. yikes. I was busy all day and didn't get into my studio until late afternoon without a clue what I was going to do. I've decided that when I'm clueless I'll just glue something down on a big piece of board and go from there.
 I used some of my solid color paper as the base and then because I have lots and lots of stamps I glued those on next. I decided to use only non-U.S. stamps.
 After the stamps were affixed, and one queen, I turned the board over and cut out 4 postcard sized pieces.
When I turned them over, this is what I got. I added a person/s to the three that didn't have one and voila, a completed series. Amazing how it worked out.
Now if they only get to their destinations!

I found out today that the card I sent to my Maestra de español didn't get to her and she lives only 3 miles away, across the James River. Dissapointed, I'm so so so.

1 comment:

Cappuccinoandartjournal.blogspot.com said...

That is awfully disappointing when mail doesn't make it to it's destination -- hope it doesn't happen to you too often.(Did you find an album at the thrift shop too?)

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...