Saturday, August 02, 2008

Our short trip to DC

Our cousin was in DC for a conference and invited us to join her for a couple days after it was over. We stayed in the Omni Shoreham and had a nice view of the pool. Here's how it looked on the first night we were there when there was an amazing rain storm, with thunder and lightening. A light show! We went to the National Museum of art, where this Calder mobile is installed. We saw, for the third time, the Martin Puryear show. I think we're official groupies now. Another wonderful show, which made us sad, though happy that we got to see it, was the treasures from the Kabul museum. Not much left of the treasures, or Kabul, I think. Brave curators managed to save some of the items that were in the museum. We're standing in front of the big poster advertising the treasures. Later in the day, we stopped at Teaism for some, of course, TEA! The boxes they keep the tea in are so beautiful. Afterwards, we went to the Phillips Gallery to see a show of work by Richard Diebenkorn, photographs by Brett Weston and work by Jacob Lawrence. What a wonderful day of art. And as we left the city the next day, heading home, we passed the Washington monument. I was able to capture this image with my cell phone. It was a short visit, but filled with art. We were energized by it.



No comments:

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...