Wednesday, May 09, 2007

More about the Library


This is the poster for the current show in the Richmond Public Library Special Collections room. Doesn't it just bring back memories? Well, for some of us it surely does. I think about reading Misty for the first time, not knowing how to pronounce Chincoteague. I was saying, in my mind, Chin-cot-ah-gyou. It was many, many years later, when we'd first moved to Richmond, VA, that we went to the eastern shore and visited the place that I learned how it was actually pronounced. What a surprise.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hahaha, I know I have pronounced plenty of things incorrectly in my lifetime (every day I do, I'm sure) but your childhood pronunciation of Chincoteague cracks me up. It always amazes me when finally hearing how fictional names, especially, are supposed to be pronounced.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...