Saturday, December 10, 2011

Having fun with mail art


 Oh I was so happy when I found this statement. Now that I've passed along my old scraps, I'm open to finding new bits so am, once again, cutting up magazines. I added the Japanese character, friendship, because I wanted a third element in the composition.









 The award wining pumpkin, a fright for Tiny Town's residents, no doubt. I don't always know how I'll use an element, or if it'll work for the Tiny Town series, but when it fits in, I'm pretty happy with the results.

The de Kooning cards that I purchased at VMFA, give me a bit more of a challenge for altering. In the end, with a bit more cutting, I could fit the pipe into the scene.

Since finishing my year long project, I'm making mail art differently than before the project. I have a larger vocabulary to draw on, using my own pieces as references. It's really a very nice consequence of the 365 and in a sense, if proves what Noah's book title says: "365, Make Something Every Day and Change Your Life." I didn't think it would, but in a sense it has.

1 comment:

phonelady said...

Gotta Love it .

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...