Saturday, February 19, 2011

#81, about color


Among the items I have from my deceased friend, is this box of color papers. It's probably from the 1970s and is the same as the ColorAide papers that I would have my students purchase years ago (until they got too expensive) to do color projects. I've decided to use these papers as my year of making mail art continues.
 I had lots of these small color samples, which I've been cutting out of a book about color that wasn't what I thought it'd be when I ordered it; so it's become fodder for collage! At least, I could put it to good use. REDs, lots of reds, so perfect for the letter "R" day of this alphabet month.
I used a green base since this is the complementary color for red. In person, the cards POP! The addition of the multiple letters on top, tones down the vibrations a bit.

If you'd like to read about red, I recommend the book "A Perfect Red" by Amy Butler Greenfield. It's history, mystery, obsession, intrigue, more about red than you ever thought you'd want to know. A good read, too.

1 comment:

Margie said...

Ooh, I like!! Red against that apple green does pop! Xo

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...