Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sewing

I've gotten back to sewing, in preparation for participation in Bizarre Market for the month of December. I sew up my Pockets and Purses for Change, on the sewing machine, only hand sewing the buttons for closure. However, I was asked to donate a one of a kind little item for a fundraising auction to proceed the market. I decided to make a small wristlet, based on my Purses for Change pattern. I used some really nice velvet-y fabric (high end upholstery sample) for the outside and a nice sateen cotton for the inside (high end upholstery sample) and then for pizzazz tried my hand at some handsewing. I was inspired by my friend Bridget, who hand makes beaded buttons that are extraordinary. Wish I'd taken photos of them while visiting her. Next visit, I promise!
It was so time consuming to do the beading. I had no idea since the last time I played with beads was on my old beading loom, a long long time ago.  The wristlet is about 5" x 5" (12.7 cm x 12.7cm)


My older sister sent me some cool old packets of needles and pins a few weeks ago. I couldn't carry them back with me on the plane since I was doing carry on luggage only. Even though I'd seen them in L.A., I was delighted when they arrived. The needles are nice and sharp and the packaging is terrific.  You can see my other sewing projects here.

3 comments:

phonelady said...

as a reciepant of one of your pockets you are awesome and let me know if you need more buttons okay ?

Barbara said...

no haystacks for you! bb

Barbara said...

no haystacks for you! bb

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...