Wednesday, September 08, 2010

International Literacy Day

September 8 was proclaimed International Literacy Day by UNESCO on November 17, 1965. It was first celebrated in 1966. Its aim is to highlight the importance of literacy to individuals, communities and societies. On International Literacy Day each year, UNESCO reminds the international community of the status of literacy and adult learning globally. Celebrations take place around the world.

Some 774 million adults lack minimum literacy skills; one in five adults is still not literate and two-thirds of them are women; 72.1 million children are out-of-school and many more attend irregularly or drop out.

Today, I baked a honey cake, to celebrate the Jewish Holy Days related to the New Year. I was able to read the recipe and am grateful for that. I am a voracious reader, I can't imagine not being able to read books. There's a way to help literacy programs, lots of them, in fact. One way is to buy books through Better World Books here. Another way is here. Another way would be to find someplace in your community that needs books or tutors. If you reading is important to you, like it is to me, take action.

2 comments:

phonelady said...

Yeah I actually saw you with a book !! You should read a book called saving cee cee honeycutt by beth hoffman . It is a great book .

Paula said...

I have bought so many books through Better World Books. I link up with them through Amazon.com when looking for a good used book.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...