Monday, June 21, 2010

Dad

The Phone Lady's post about looking for a photo of her father sent me looking for one of my Dad. I didn't do a good job on the scan so it's not all that clear. Can anyone date the car? Notice the bullet bumper detail? Dad has been gone for over 10 years. The apartment building we lived in, in Chicago, is gone also. I looked for it on Google and it's an empty lot now. I have no idea how long it's been gone. It appears that a building is now on the empty lot across the street so the view of those back porches (behind the tree) is obscured. I think one of the girls looking at the ground in the background is my older sister. My Dad was a very nice man. He was a good husband and father, kind, funny, playful, musical and inquisitive. He loved to learn new words. He loved to fish and bowl. He taught us to ride bikes, ice skate, roller skate, fish, and treat out mother with respect. He told me once that he chose to be happy. Thanks Dad.

1 comment:

phonelady said...

that is an awesome pic of your dad and you will be happy to know that my brother does have a photo and he is sending ;me one he has several . Im dating the car at around 1940s something am i right ? oh well love the pic and yeah sad that the building is gone our original house in upstate new york is gone as well . My mom was raised in that house and she raised us at least most of us in that house so that felt like home then we moved to missouri and that house they are still living in .sad really that most of the places we grew up are gone . Oh well these time they are a changing.

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...