Thursday, October 15, 2009

Climage Change - BLOG ACTION DAY


Today is BLOG ACTION DAY on Climate Change. I've been thinking about what I could add to this awareness, how I could tie it in with my art work, my daily life, and was coming up with, frankly, not very interesting stuff. Being at the Griffith Observatory this past Sunday, I saw the Earth in relationship to other planets, to the universe. I saw Earth, our planet, our little ball in space and I felt awed by it. I, also, felt responsibility to do a good post today. But what?

Then, re-reading an article in the September issue of The Sun magazine yesterday, I realized that I'd found something I wanted to share, some of Thomas Berry's words from The Meadow Across the Creek: "We have disengaged from that profound interaction with our environment inherent in our very nature....Our children do not learn how to read the Great Book of Nature or how to interact creatively with the seasonal transformations of the planet. They seldom learn where their water comes from or where it goes.....We have indeed become strange beings, so completely are we at odds with the planet that brought us into being....We no longer hear the voices of the rivers or the mountains, or the voices of the sea....The work before us is the task, not simply of ourselves, but of the entire planet and all its component members....Every member of the body must bring its activity to the healing."

I think of this, oh so scary, our planet in big trouble, and what can I do, little me, what can I do? I remember that great Margaret Mead quote:
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
So I will continue to join with others in whatever small way I can to support whatever needs doing to help our planet heal. In the meantime, I'll be aware of what I consume, what I waste, what I recycle, what I reuse, what I re-purpose, and do the best I can. And to you, my dear friends, find what works for you. Find something that you can be involved in, no matter how small.

Here's something we can all do to take action here
and here.
We're all in this together, we're all on this one little blue ball in space.


2 comments:

phonelady said...

all knowing the earth is very little compared to some other planets. thanks for sharing and posting this .

Lesa said...

I think your words put everything in perspective, nicely too! Thanks!

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...