Sunday, April 26, 2009

In the neighborhood

I can't believe it's almost a week since I posted anything. What happened? It got very hot all of a sudden. Right now, at 22h39 (10:30 pm) it's 80F/28C and very very moist! The air is very moist!! It's left us feeling so lethargic we can barely move around, let alone take a walk in the neighborhood.

Here are a couple photos from earlier in the week when I was noticing the tops of some neighborhood buildings. They are really nice. One reminds me of Holland (well sort of) and the other two of some little village somewhere.

The azalea bushes in our back garden (all two of them) have bloomed nicely. I'd cut them back pretty drastically the year before last and that really helped them bloom better. Who knew I'd be such a capable gardener.

On Tuesday evening, I attended a lecture by a professor from the University of Texas at Dallas who is the expert on Impressionism. He did a lecture on Alfred Sisley whose work I really really like. I like his snowy scenes especially. The prof was terrific, very funny and real, he kept us engaged and it was all over too soon. He showed lots of slides. When I got home, I got out the book I'd bought when I went to see the Sisley show in Baltimore in 1993. It was a gorgeous and eye-opening show. Oh to paint landscapes like Sisley. No, really, I do wish I could do that.

No comments:

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...