Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Williamsburg, Virginia

Colonial Williamsburg was another of my destinations with my nephew. This is the tower of Bruton Church, which is original, built in 1715 and in constant use. Thomas Jefferson visited there when he went to a meeting of the House of Burgesses. People are employed to serve as historic interpreters. They go about their business as if they lived during colonial times. They work in shops, are bakers, printers, basket makers, brick makers, gardeners, etc. You can stop and chat with them. They will say "good day" (Hello is a modern language term) and will answer your questions in relationship to their lives. The garden was interesting. Glass domes, like bottomless bottles, covered some of the new plants. I'd never seen that before. It'll be interesting to go in warmer weather and see how the garden is doing.






1 comment:

Anke Martin said...

Wow, that is for sure interesting! A totally different world! Thanks for sharing it! Smiles, Anke ;)

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...