Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Earth Day




I love the image of earth from space. It's so beautiful and a reminder that we all live on this great blue marble in space. Notice that there are no lines separating countries or states. We're all in this together. I'm trying in my little way, in my little space, to help my home, the earth.

I've been encouraging people to use re-usable bags to tote their groceries and other purchases. I'm making my totes out of surplus fabric, either from a company that makes outdoor furniture, or people's upholstery or quilting projects. I'm making my collages using paper that comes my way via the mail, old maps, or however I find it.

We recycle as much as we can, cut off lights we're not using, use energy saving light bulbs as much as possible, drive less, walk more, I know it's just little bits and pieces of a bigger picture. I'm elated to see that there is more in the media about how we can all help, and in bits and pieces, maybe just maybe, I'm hoping, it'll make this marble in space last a bit longer.

1 comment:

willynillywaterlily said...

What a thoughtful post to commemorate Earth's Special day . . . which should be everyday!

How did I get into this?

I was asked when I started doing Mailart. Good question. Like many artists, I was making and mailing art without even knowing it had a name ...